Financial Aid: FAQ

The University of Pittsburgh at Titusville Financial Aid Office staff is here to assist students and families with the process of applying for and receiving financial aid. Our experienced staff is available during office hours to respond to your financial aid questions and requests. No appointments are necessary. Students and families are assisted in the office on a walk-in basis, Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Our phone number is (814) 827-4495.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Please go to the Applying for Financial Aid section of this website and read about the financial aid application process, the forms you will need to complete, our priority deadlines and a description of the types of financial aid that are available for Pitt-Titusville students. If you have questions about or need help with the application process, please contact our office.

My parents won't pay for my college expenses. How do I pay for college?

Grants, scholarships, loans and employment are all options for qualified applicants. The parents of dependent students will need to play a part in this process. The basic premise of financial aid is that the primary responsibility for meeting the cost of attending a post-secondary institution rests with the family. The primary purpose of student financial aid is to provide economic resources to students who have demonstrated financial need and who would otherwise be unable to pursue a post-secondary education. Having your family involved in your educational decisions will be necessary for you to apply for financial aid. Receiving sufficient financial aid without parents' financial information and participation is generally not possible for most dependent students.

How many credits do I need to register for to receive financial aid?

Enrollment requirements vary by the type of aid. Many financial aid programs require that you enroll as a full-time student in a degree seeking program. As an undergraduate, you must enroll for a minimum of 12 credits per term to be considered full-time. Some financial aid programs require that you be at least a half-time student to receive financial aid. Half-time for an undergraduate is 6 credits per term.

How can I get more aid?

If you completed the financial aid application process by the priority deadline, you were awarded each type of financial aid for which you were eligible.
Other possible alternatives are:

  • Parents of dependent students can apply for a Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan. If the parent is denied, dependent students can get additional Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan funds. We will send students such options via email once a denied application enters our system. 

  • Students can also consider a variety of alternative education loans. Although more expensive than the Federal Direct loans, this can be a useful resource to help pay college expenses. 

  • Students can also explore the possibility of scholarships awarded outside of Pitt-Titusville. A number of free search engines are available. This option, while worth exploring, may take more time and may not produce results quickly enough to pay a current term University bill.

Why hasn't my aid/loan been processed yet?

You need to contact the financial aid office concerning financial aid that you have not received as expected. As there are many types of aid with a variety of requirements, there is not a single answer to this question.

What is the maximum amount of money I can apply for through additional loans?

Students are eligible to apply for and receive financial aid to cover the University's estimated Cost of Attendance (COA). COA includes tuition, fees, room and board, books, supplies, transportation and other education-related expenses. For some aid, the amount you can receive is limited to your demonstrated financial need. Using Federal Direct PLUS and alternative loan programs, you may be able to borrow up to the total COA.

Why is my aid different from last year?

Financial aid eligibility is reviewed each year. Changes that occur in your financial circumstances are considered and may result in a higher expected family contribution (EFC), different award amount or ineligibility for a type of aid. Changes in your enrollment and housing plans can also affect your aid eligibility. Please contact our office to review your application.

How do I apply for a Federal Direct Loan, alternative loan or Federal Direct PLUS loan?

Please go to the Types of Aid and Student Loans sections of this website for complete information about the application process for each of these loans. If you need assistance in deciding which loan program is right for you, please contact our office.

Where is my refund?

Click here to contact the Office of Student Accounts or send a letter to:
University of Pittsburgh at Titusville
Office of Student Accounts
504 E. Main Street
Titusville, PA 16354
(814) 827-4424

How can I reduce or cancel my student loan?

You can request a reduction or cancellation of your Federal Direct Loan, Federal Direct PLUS or alternative loan by completing a Loan Change Request Form and returning it to the Office of Financial Aid.

What happens to my financial aid when I drop classes?

Depending on the type of financial aid you are receiving, the number of credits you are dropping and when you drop, your financial aid may or may not be affected. Please contact our office for specific information.

Where do I complete entrance/exit counseling for Federal Direct or Perkins Loans?

Entrance and Exit Counseling requirements can be completed online for Federal Direct Loans at the Department of Education's website, click on Complete Counseling and then select Start for either the Entrance or Exit counseling.
For a Federal Perkin Loan, click here to complete the Entrance or Entrance Interview and electronically sign a Master Promissory Note.
Please click here to complete the Exit Interview

Why were PHEAA grants removed from my financial aid?

There can be many reasons why your PHEAA grant was cancelled. Please contact our office for assistance.

Are there separate MPNs for different loans?

Yes, each loan will have a separate Master Promissory Note (MPN). If you are awarded a Federal Perkins Loan and you are a first time borrower, you must complete both an Entrance Interview and Master Promissory Note (MPN) before these funds will be available to you. You will be advised via email when your MPN is available for you to sign. These requirements can be completed online. Funds will be credited to your University bill once these requirements are met. These loans must be repaid after you graduate or otherwise terminate your enrollment at the University of Pittsburgh.
If you are a new student or have never borrowed through the Federal Direct Student Loan program, you are required to sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN). Your MPN will be valid for 10 years while you are enrolled as a student. You will not need to sign this form each year for up to 10 years as long as you remain continuously enrolled in the University of Pittsburgh system. Student loan funds cannot be disbursed to your student account until you have signed your MPN.

How do I qualify for Federal Work Study?

Federal Work Study is awarded to students based on financial need. If you complete the financial aid application process on time, you will be considered for Federal Work Study. If you are eligible for Federal Work Study, it will be included in your financial aid award letter.

I didn't file a paper tax return, how do I give you a copy of my tax return?

Due to changes in regulations, the US Department of Education now requires copies of an official IRS Tax Return Transcript. Therefore, regardless of whether you have a paper copy of your return or not, you will either have to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. which is part of the FAFSA or contact the IRS for a transcript.
Click here for instructions on using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
Otherwise, a new tool exists to have a transcript from the IRS pulled up electronically. Please go to You can also obtain a copy of your tax return by completing IRS Form 4506 and mailing this request to the Internal Revenue Service. Please note though that mailing in this request will take substantially longer to process and can delay the financial aid process.

My parent's Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan has been denied, what do I do now?

If your parent's Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan is denied, you may be eligible for additional unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan funds($4,000 for year 1 and 2)